Running a restaurant in the current competitive environment can be a demanding job. It can also be a solitary exercise.
Finding advice from others in the industry can be difficult, as they often see you as a rival enterprise, but improving your own skills will improve the business. A successful management style goes hand in hand with a successful restaurant.
Here are some top tips for an efficient and profitable restaurant.
- Always try to exude a positive demeanor. This can rub off on employees and is particularly important if you spend time in front of the house. Customers pick up on the atmosphere of a restaurant, and you can set the tone. People come out to dine to enjoy themselves. Make sure your establishment creates an atmosphere which helps them do so.
- Make sure you have a happy team by adopting an open and transparent style of management. This will ensure they are motivated and genuinely feel part of the team. Make sure there are open lines of communication, not only between members of the staff but also between the team and yourself.
- Make sure that you are keeping a close eye on the safety of your employees. The restaurant is notorious for workplace injuries, and tips on how to avoid incidents can be found at the Health and Safety Executive
- Be pro-active when it comes to tackling problems which inevitably arise in the restaurant business. This can mean keeping an eye on supply lines and the areas where you store your stock, such as in commercial cold rooms. A failure in any equipment can be costly, but reliable hardware can be found online at sites such as fridgefreezerdirect.co.uk/cold-rooms/integrated-cold-rooms.
- As you will know from reading the press, the restaurant business is a hotbed of innovation, so do not get left behind or your profits are likely to be hit. Keep an eye on local sourcing successes and new beverage ideas.
- The same applies to technological advancements in ordering and marketing and bookings. Stock control software will help with ordering and make your life easier. In terms of marketing social media is increasingly taking over from traditional outlets – make sure you on top of this by keeping customers up to date with events at your establishment.
Look out for more tips coming soon.